21-22 january: Shaula3 transfer trip from Arenzano
(where works have not started yet...) to Varazze, where we are given a berth
at the central pontoon, the only one which is open so far. A
Mistral blow gives us its welcome!
february-march: damn cold, one night we even had 10cm
of snow on all boats (and traffic throughout northern Italy was completely
blocked!). Inside, a simple electric fan-heater is enough to give
a comfortable temperature! There are frequent blows from NW
which put quite some stress on the bow moorings, but at least the marina is
free from any swell which was such a problem in Arenzano.
temporarily moored in Varazze
Snow at sea level in the Mediterranean!
11 march: taking advantage of a trip to Jesolo, we
went to the "Cantieri di Aprilia Marittima" (near Lignano, northern
Adriatic), and have booked a hard-stand place for next winter.
april-may: time is getting milder, we have also the
opportunity of a short sail to test the new sails: there are a few, minor
defects that the sailmaker will fix in no time.
june-july: heat is late, but when it comes the
temperature is boiling hot!! Luckily, works on-board are nearly
finished and there is a little spare time to watch the soccer world
championship matches (we won, quite unexpectedly!!!). The departure date
for the summer cruise is getting close!
july-september: we set sail for the summer cruise
which will also serve as a transfer trip to the northern Adriatic, where
Shaula will spend the next winter.
The full story is told on this page.
october-november: Shaula is on the ground in Cantieri
di Aprilia, where we planned to just prepare her for winter, waiting for next
spring to do the last few jobs before departure.
Things did not go as planned though, as two problems requested immediate
- during the last leg of our cruise, the engine leaked oil in the
bilges! Non a lot, but enough to require a professional's attention, and
the verdict has been that we need to take the engine off the boat to replace
the oil sump gasket!
Obviously, we will take advantage of this for a thorough check of the beast.
Could have been worse, anyway: the problem could have happened just after
next year's departure!
Look ma, no engine!
- when the boat was lifted out and pressure-washed, the white antifouling we
had applied last year has peeled randomly, exposing the underlying black
We had to accept that drastic measures were needed to do a job well done, but
the thing turned out to be not so easy, as the old antifouling was very thick
After several failed attempts, we finally managed to remove the old paint with
an electric scaper, but this took until november: we then applied
etch-primer, primer and a first coat of antifouling, and now Shaula shines as
New flexible joint
december: with the engine out, we take the
opportunity to pull the prop-shaft and have it shortened, to allow insertion of
a flexible coupling which will hopefully cure the prop-shaft vibrations.
After that, works will come to a halt until after the Christmas holydays.
THE STORY CONTINUES AT THE